Application: Beverage Can Manufacturing
Problem: An equipment manufacturer approached our Helical Products location to find an alternative solution for frequent failures in a two-piece die spring assembly within one of their products. Due to the placement within the machinery, every repair required heavy equipment, a significant amount of labor and downtime for their customers.
The MWI Solution:
- Our engineers analyzed the application and die spring assembly design
- A change in material was suggested to meet the strength and fatigue life requirements
- A one-piece machined spring was designed to fit the cavity of the existing die spring assembly
- Prototype was developed and installed in a single customer’s equipment
- Quarterly maintenance checks were scheduled to assess potential for failure
After a year of failure-free operation, the manufacturer began replacing the die spring assembly for their other customers as well as using the machined spring design in all their new equipment. After the changes, the equipment manufacturer and their customers are both saving thousands of dollars a year in maintenance expenses, the manufacturer is able to offer a scheduled maintenance check once a year, and their customers are more reliably meeting their production quotas and delivery times.